Troon writes picture books, teen-adult cross-over novels, and junior chapter books. She has thirty-six books published in a range of genres including historical, contemporary, fantasy and science fiction; she also writes nonfiction. She writes both freelance and as work-for-hire; enjoys research, and meets deadlines without fail. Her titles include stand alone and series.
Since 1997, Troon has been a creative writing teacher with the Institute of Children's Literature in CT. USA. She has also facilitated many workshops for a wide range of ages.
Her books have been accorded honors including:
· Geoffrey Bilson Historical Fiction Honor Book
· Outstanding, Parent Council of America,
· Blue Spruce Award (ON School Library Assoc.)
· Nominated, Red Maple (ON Library Assoc.)
· Nominated Red Cedar (BC Library Assoc.)
· Best Children’s Book of the Year (Alberta)
· Nominated, Torgi Award (CNIB)
· Notable, Children’s Book Council of America
· Notable, National Council of Social Studies
· Finalist, Independent Publisher Book Awards
· Honor Title, Storytelling World Awards
· Our Choice, Canadian Children’s Book Centre
· Recommended, Children’s Book Panel, CBC
Troon’s writing-related experiences include:
· Course Instructor with the Institute of Children’s Literature, CT, USA
· Taught for Trent University’s Cont. Ed. 2003
· Taught Young Author workshops, McGill 2002
· Writer in Residence at Trent University 2000
· Toured in Alberta for Book Week 2000
· Event Host, Lakefield Literary Festival
· Workshop facilitator, numerous schools
Her work is published in six languages and eight countries and has been favorably reviewed in leading periodicals (including Quill and Quire, The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, Library Journal, Atlantic Review, Kirkus, Horn Books, Canadian Materials, Canadian Book Review Annual, London Times, Canadian Living, Resource Links.)
Her books have consistently been chosen as notable by the Canadian Children's Book Center in Toronto.
Two of her picture books are animated television shows on YTV.
Troon works as a freelance editor, offering manuscript critiques, and has written book reviews for Canadian Children's Literature
For manuscript evaluation and editing, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Troon Harrison is an internationally published,
award winning author; an experienced editor,
and a qualified teacher of creative writing.
Born in the Rocky Mountains of B.C., Canada, Troon was raised mainly in Cornwall, England. Returning to Canada, she spent ten years on the west coast before moving to Ontario where she completed a B.A. in Sociology (Trent) , a B.Ed. in Primary Education (Queen's) and a B.A. in English Literature (Trent). She loves to explore fields & forest with her dog, ride her horse, paint with acrylics, and photograph wild things.
author & editor